Monday, November 26, 2012

1 Chronicles 29:11 - Who's Running This World?

MEMORY VERSE:
“Yours, O Lord, is the greatness, the power, the glory, the victory, and the majesty.  Everything in the heavens and on earth is Yours, O Lord, and this is Your kingdom.  We adore You as the one who is over all things.” 
1 Chronicles 29:11 (NLT)



Does God really have power over all things?  Consider a few headlines from this week…

  • “Israel Intensifies Attacks Despite Peace Talks”
  • “$2M in Christmas Toys Missing from Salvation Army”
  • “Body of Turkish Ex-Leader Shows Signs of Poisoning”
  • “At U.S. Public Meeting Fights Over Prayer Drag On”
  • “Bomb in Damascus Refugee Camp Kills Four”
  • “Child Soldiers On Front Lines of Congo Conflict”
  • “Radio Host Calls Montreal Jewish Population Annoying”

Injustice screams in bold capital letters from newspaper and internet headlines.  It infiltrates our backyards – murder on our city streets, teenage prostitutes in the down town core, babies on the streets with homeless parents, meth labs, grow ops…I could keep going but I don’t think I need to beleaguer the point.

This past weekend I was visiting my step-mother in Manitoba where we attended her church, MacGregor United.  It was a traditional worship service and I enjoyed the older hymns as a change from contemporary worship music.

I found the words from the hymn, “This Is My Father’s World” particularly encouraging…

“This is my Father’s world.  O let me ne’er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father’s world: the battle is not done:
Jesus Who died shall be satisfied,
And earth and Heav’n be one.”

At times I find myself doubtful about who’s really running this world and I ask hard questions.  “Does God know what’s going on down here?”  “Does He care?”  “Has He given up on us?”

I find hope though when I read scripture verses like 1 Chronicles 29:11, and sing the reassuring words from hymns like, “This is My Father’s World”.

Yes, God knows!  Yes, He cares! No, He hasn’t given up!

Evil still roams over the earth BUT this world is GOD’S kingdom.  We may not see it.  At times we even find it difficult to believe.  But regardless of what we read in the headlines God still is in control. 

The hymn says, “Jesus Who died shall be satisfied, and earth and Heav’n be one.”  We’re still on the front lines of the battle but we know the outcome. 

Jesus already conquered sin and death and one day evil and injustice will be a thing of the past.

Things To Think About:
Do we have reason to hope despite the dismal daily headlines?  Share your thoughts by clicking on “comments” below.


“Yours, O Lord, is the greatness, the power, the glory, the victory, and the majesty.  Everything in the heavens and on earth is Yours, O Lord, and this is Your kingdom.  We adore You as the one who is over all things.”  1 Chronicles 29:11 (NLT)

No comments: