Sunday, July 1, 2012

Psalm 139:23-24 - Search Required

MEMORY VERSE:
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.  Psalm 139:23-24

During my travels last month I found myself sitting in the Calgary airport around lunch time.  The enticing aroma of Subway’s freshly baked buns was too tempting for my grumbling stomach to ignore.

As I stood in line I noticed the security tags each employee wore.  One woman in particular snagged my attention.  She wore the usual ID but attached to it was a red label stating, “Search Required”.

I couldn’t help wondering what set her apart from the other Subway employees.  The restaurant was inside security so everyone had to clear the scanners, but for some reason this wasn’t enough for this particular woman.

I considered the possibilities...
1.       Maybe she had access to more areas inside security than the other employees and this required a more intense search process.
2.       Maybe she was the perpetual target of the “random pat down” search I seem to get hit with at airports.  The one involving the in depth luggage search, computer swab, and body scan/pat down.
3.       Maybe she had a medical condition like a metal plate in her head, pins in her knees, or a pacemaker and couldn't go through the metal detectors.

All of these possibilities (and a few other random thoughts) ran through my head while I stood there.  I didn’t actually have the courage to ask her about it so my curiosity remains unsatisfied.

It did, however, lead to me to think about David’s request to God.  In Psalm 139, David marvels over how incredible God is.  He understands God is always with him, God sees everything, knows everything, and God’s presence is everywhere.

Upon realizing how amazing God is, David desperately desires to be in right relationship with Him.  In verses 23 and 24 David asks God to examine his thoughts and motives and to reveal anything that is impure and unpleasing in God’s sight.

Like David we need to put out the “Search Required” sign in our lives.  Sometimes we need a word from God (or a smack upside the head) to get us back on track.  Sometimes we make bad choices and find ourselves treading water in an ocean of sin and we need God to throw us a life preserver and drag us out.

“Search required” at the airport ensures the safety and security of air travelers.  Asking God to search our hearts is a security check on our lives.  It helps us stay in right relationship with God and allows us to become more like Christ each day.

Have you put out the “Search Required” sign lately?  Share your thoughts by clicking on “Comments” below.

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.  Psalm 139:23-24

No comments: