Sunday, July 15, 2012

Job 1:21-22 - Faith Reflections

MEMORY VERSE:
“I came naked from my mother’s womb, and I will be naked when I leave.  The Lord gave me what I had, and the Lord has taken it away.  Praise the name of the Lord!”  In all of this, Job did not sin by blaming God.”  Job 1:21-22 (NLT)

These are the words Job utters upon finding out he’s just lost his livelihood and his family.  His donkeys and farmhands are gone, his sheep and shepherds are killed, his camels and servants are dead, and all his children perish when a house collapses on them.

Job is devastated.  He immediately begins to grieve, but somehow, through what appears to be super human strength he doesn’t blame God, instead he worships Him.  I wonder; if I lost everything, could I respond like Job? 

Quite often in church we sing the song, “Blessed Be Your Name”, by Matt and Beth Redmond.  The song basically says we praise and worship God when the sun’s bright, life is good, and all is right with the world. 

But it goes on to say we still praise Him when life’s struggles come our way; when we’re faced with challenges and pain and when we’re suffering  in a pit of darkness.  As I’m singing I ask myself, “Do I really believe those words?  Can I live them when the time comes?”

Recently I had a conversation with a friend about homelessness.  She said we’re all just one pay cheque away from being on the street.  There’s a thought provoking statement!

If I lost my job, my home, my husband, and my family and was forced to live on the street, would my heart remain rooted firmly enough in my faith to respond with praise and worship?

It’s a scary thought to contemplate because there’s always a possibility our faith isn’t up to the test. 

I think as we grow in our relationship with God we draw close to Him and learn to trust Him.  We learn about His character and understand that even when we face life’s tough stuff, He continues to walk with us.

Even in times of loss and suffering, when we’re close to God, we understand He will somehow take the hardships we experience and turn them into something positive. 
  
Job isn’t alone in his ability to praise God in times of hardship.  Jeremiah mourns over the devastation of Jerusalem and the exile of her people but he still trusts and looks to God to make things right...

“The faithful love of the Lord never ends!  His mercies never cease.  Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.  I say to myself, ‘The Lord is my inheritance; therefore I will hope in Him!’  Lamentations 3:22-24

Paul trusted God implicitly...

“And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them.”  Romans 8:28

How are you doing in your relationship with God?  Does it need work or are you firm in your faith, like Job.  Do you trust God regardless of what life may bring?  Please share your thoughts by clicking on “comments” below.

“I came naked from my mother’s womb, and I will be naked when I leave.  The Lord gave me what I had, and the Lord has taken it away.  Praise the name of the Lord!”  In all of this, Job did not sin by blaming God.”  Job 1:21-22 (NLT)

No comments: