Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A Beautiful Mess

It’s Sunday morning.  For a change, we’re not rushing to get to church.  I sit on the front porch, tea in hand, basking in the early morning sunlight while I enjoy the unexpected gift of an unscheduled 20 minutes.

The chaos of colour from my flower bed draws my gaze.  Yellow, orange, red, and white sway in the morning breeze.  It’s chaos! 

California poppies self-seeded from last summer have hijacked the soil. 
They spring up everywhere burying ,the miniature rose and subduing even the strongest hosta in a sea of colour.
In the self-ordered world that is my mind, it’s a mess.  But through the eyes of a gardener it’s beautiful.

 I smile and wonder…is this how God sees my life?  Does He gaze at the chaos, the struggles, the failures, the missed opportunities, the pain and grief and brokenness…and see beauty?

“Look at the lilies how they grow.  They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed a beautifully as they are.  And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, He will certainly care for you.  Why do you have so little faith?”  Luke 12:27-28  NLT

God takes the time to create the flowers, making them perfect and beautiful.  I think He smiles when He sees them in their radiant colour.  And He smiles when He sees us, no matter what condition we’re in.  He made us and loves us in the midst of our messy, broken lives.  To Him we are beautiful, regardless of where we’re at.

The mess in my flower bed is a gift.  A gift of colour and beauty given by God.  I take the time to enjoy it and give thanks for it; thankful that He loves me in all my messiness.

THINGS TO THINK ABOUT
You may not love yourself, but know this…God does. 

“For God loved the world so much that He gave His one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life.”  John 3:16 (NLT)

Substitute “the world” with your name in that scripture and let the words sink in slow and deep.  “God so loved…that He gave his one and only Son…”

That’s how much He loves you.

No comments: