We’re all at different places in our prayer life. Some of you are seasoned prayer warriors, others are new to faith and learning how to communication with God through prayer.Regardless of where you’re at, everyone faces times of discouragement. You don’t see the answers you’d like and you wonder if God’s listening.
Today I want to share a story of a surprisingly unexpected answer to prayer. I hope it encourages you in your own prayer life.Two years ago I married my husband and moved to the community where he lived. I found it difficult to connect in our new church community because my life as a national sales manager with a medical supply company kept me away from home 75% of the time.
On top of that, winter hit hard this year in the form of multiple heavy snow falls, leading to miserable driving conditions every time I set out on a road trip. By mid-December I was fed up!What do you do when you’re fed up? You vent your frustrations to God.
I told Him how frustrated I was with my lack of relationships and involvement in the church, how I felt I wasn’t doing anything to serve Him, and how I was exhausted and done with driving in lousy winter conditions.I felt the desire to pray our church’s theme for the upcoming year…Grow Up, Grow Together, Grow Out.
- I prayed to “grow up” in God - for deeper relationship with Him.
- I prayed for my husband and me to “grow together” in community with our church family.
- I prayed to “grow out” in the community - asking God to show me where He was working right where I was and to show me where I could serve.
When you pray a prayer that’s God’s desire for your life you don’t have to wait very long for an answer.
“And we are confident that He hears us whenever we ask for anything that pleases Him. And since we know He hears us when we make our requests, we also know that He will give us what we ask for.” 1 John 5:14-15 (NLT)
Here’s the short version of what happened three weeks later…
- I felt the Spirit urging me to check job postings on our local Christian radio station’s website.
- I followed the urging and found a position for a Sales Manager (closing the next day) – I submitted a resume for the position despite the fact that I had no previous work experience in the broadcasting industry. I left it in God’s hands.
- Less than twenty four hours later I was interviewed and completed an on-line profile assessment.
- Two days later I had a second interview in Calgary (four hours away). Conveniently, I was already scheduled to be there for my existing work so was able to schedule the interview on the same trip.
- By the end of the week I was back in Edmonton talking salary and benefits with the General Manager of the broadcasting company.
Throughout the process I continued to pray and leave it in God’s hands. If I wasn’t the right person for the job I didn’t want it! God’s doing amazing work through the Christian radio stations around the province and I didn’t want to single handedly mess it up! I continued to pray for God’s will in the decision making process.
I’m now seven weeks into the job and loving it!
Think about it…
- Less than twelve hours to submit a resume
- Three interviews/meetings with the potential employer in four days – one of which is four hours away where I’m already scheduled to work.
- A management position in an industry where I have no previous experience.
- All in the time frame of six business days.
How can that be anything but God?
When I prayed in December I didn’t ask God for a new job. But here I am in a position at a Christian radio station that reaches over 200,000 people throughout the community on a regular basis! And I’m home evenings and weekends so I can get connected at church!
Our God is amazing! He answers prayers in completely unexpected and surprising ways.
This is just the start of the story. I’ll continue the ongoing prayer saga next week.
“Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.” Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NLT)
THINGS TO THINK ABOUT:Has God answered your prayers in ways you never expected? Please share your experience by clicking on “comments” below.