Thursday, April 18, 2013

Unexpected Answer To Prayer - Part 2

Last week I shared the story of an unexpected answer to prayer that lead to a job at a Christian radio station.

It’s now April and a lot has happened since that prayer was answered back in January.  So I'd like to carry on where I left off last week...

I accepted the position at SHINE FM with a start date of February 25.  I resigned from my existing company, giving three weeks notice, and planned to have a week off to relax before I started the new job.

But we all know life seldom goes according to plans.  Ultimately when we join forces with God we’re subject to attacks from the enemy. 

“For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.”  Ephesians 6:12 (NLT)

On February 5, I was on my way to prayer group at my church to talk about the ways God was working in my life and the role the group’s prayer had played in it.

I was delayed en route when another driver attempted to complete a left turn in an intersection in front of me.  My desperate attempt to stop was futile and I slammed head on into the passenger’s side of his vehicle.  

I heard the crash, for a split second everything went dark, and then I was sideways in the intersection, clearly going nowhere fast!
The cool thing about God is He takes the nasty circumstances in our lives and ministers to us in the midst of them.

“And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them.”  Romans 8:8 (NLT)

It’s amazing that in a town where I can count the number of people I know on one hand, the first police officer on scene was a woman who attends the same prayer group. 

A chaotic time of reporting, gathering information, towing vehicles, etc. ensued and when the dust settled she drove me to the church. 

I walked into the prayer room shaking, and they immediately sat me in the prayer “hot seat”, laid hands on me and prayed for the next half hour. 

The injuries that “might have been” have been limited to a stiff neck, a sore braking foot, and some nerve tingling on my back. 

“But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative – that is, the Holy Spirit – He will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.  I am leaving you with a gift – peace of mind and heart.  And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give.  So don’t be troubled or afraid.”  John 14:26-27 (NLT)

The enemy tries to push our “hot buttons”, demoralizing us in any way possible.  You may find your peace is stolen as the vice of financial and emotional stress tightens around your throat.

I won’t lie, my first thought was financial.  How do we replace a nine-year-old vehicle without putting a strain on our monthly budget?  On top of that two weeks after the accident my husband’s car needed repairs to the tune of $1,200.  Then one of our cats became quite sick, stressing me out even more, and costing us $350 in vet bills.

But God is trustworthy and we can rely on Him to provide for us in all circumstances.

“Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for.  Keep on seeking, and you will find.  Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks, receives.  Everyone who seeks, finds.  And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened…if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask Him.”  Matthew 7:7-11 (NLT)

Our insurance covered the costs of a rental car while my claim was being settled.  Between the settlement for my written off vehicle and the commission I received when I left my job we had enough to pay the repairs on my husband’s car, pay the vet bill, and buy a cute little 2010 Kia Soul for me!  God is good!

Another distraction from God’s presence is busyness.

March and April have been filled with “time” challenges.  I’ve been going for physio/massage therapy twice a week (trying to schedule these outside work hours, so they don’t think I’m slacking off at the new job).I’ve spent a number of the evenings and weekends when I wasn’t at physio, shopping for a car (and we all know how not fun that is!)

I’ve been very protective of my prayer time with God, recognizing it’s vital to spend time with Him and to seek His presence.  I refuse to give up this time, so I’m now getting up at 5:30 so I can be at my office half an hour to forty minutes before I start work.  That time is my quiet time with God before the day begins.

It’s been a challenging two and half months but I’ve relied on God to see me through and He hasn’t disappointed, providing for us financially, spiritually, and giving me a sense of peace in His presence throughout the process.

“Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.  Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done.  Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand.  His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.”  Phillipians 4:6-7 (NLT)

Do you need prayer in your life?  Stay in close communication with God and He’ll surprise you with your own unexpected answer to prayer.

Please share your prayer stories by clicking the link below.

No comments: