Thursday, September 20, 2012

Basking In God's Presence

I’m a basker.  This is not to be confused with busker (which requires some semblance of talent).  Fortunately being a basker requires no talent at all.  It simply requires a ray of sunshine. 

A cup of tea, a pair of sunglasses, and a good book are certainly preferable basking accessories, but not actual requirements.

Basking is best done outside on a warm summer day, but one can bask just as effectively inside on a cold snowy day.  All you have to do is emulate the cat. 

Find an exposed sunbeam on the carpet or couch and voila, instant winter basking access!  I’ll even admit to putting on sunglasses when basking inside so the reflection from the pages of my book doesn’t hurt my eyes.

I look forward to my morning basking ritual which involves a sunbeam, a cup of Earl Grey tea, and the Bible.  It’s my quiet time to spend in God’s word. 

This morning during my basking time a random thought popped into my head.  What would it be like to have tea (or coffee or juice – you pick) with God?

I have tea with my girlfriends, with my sister, by myself, and with my husband, but imagine sitting in Starbucks having tea with God.  What would that be like?

I indulged my imagination.  The closest thing I could imagine is sitting in bright sunlight magnified by...well...infinity. 

I close my eyes and feel the warmth of the sun on my face.  The brilliance of God’s glory radiates around me, warming and caressing like the sun’s rays. 

I relax, feeling His presence with me.  No words are necessary.  His smile radiates love and compassion.  I bask in His presence.

The tea tastes sweet.  The air is still.  I pour out my frustrations, my inadequacies, my hopes and desires, and my anxieties to Him. 

Peace descends and the cares and worries of life fade away in His presence.  I want to stay in this peaceful place, but the commitments of life call. 

God smiles.  His protective presence wraps around my shoulders like a shawl of prayer.  I hear the whipser of my name; gentle and filled with love.  He’s with me as I go into the world to face the day.

Let me share a secret with you.  You don’t have to imagine what it’s like to have tea with God.  Every morning when you read the Bible and pray, that’s tea with God.  It’s a wonderful time of basking in His presence.

Do you meet God for tea or coffee?  Share some of your encounters with God by clicking on comments below.

No comments: