Monday, August 27, 2012

Psalm 100:1,2 & 5 - Finding Joy

MEMORY VERSE:
“Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth!  Serve the Lord with gladness!  Come into His presence with singing!”  Psalm 100:1-2

“For the Lord is good:  His steadfast love endures forever, and His faithfulness to all generations.”  Psalm 100:5

I never cease to be amazed at how God always delivers the message I need at just the right moment. 

This Sunday morning I was visiting Southwood United Church, my church home when I’m working in Calgary.  As usual the people, music, and message were great!  The message was titled, “Uncork More Joy In Your Life”.

We all know how easy it is to lose sight of the good things in our lives while worrying our perceived problems to death.  I’m no different.

I came to the service filled with concerns about a condo we’re trying to rent, our fridge that died, the responsibilities of a new role I’ve taken on in my job, and the crazy travel schedule that goes along with it.  I was feeling overwhelmed and a little depressed.

But the psalmist says, “God’s steadfast love endures forever.”  God spoke through the worship team and Pastor Ed, reminding me I was investing all my energy in worrying about my “problems” instead of focusing on the abundant blessings.

The service opened with a brief presentation from some church members who recently journeyed to Africa. Even though the people of the village they visited have very little, the team was struck by the deep joy they exhibit.

I find myself reflecting on the words, “have very little”.  Our world consists of luxurious houses, leather upholstered air conditioned cars, fast food and delicacies from around the world, closets full of clothes, and overstuffed sofas. 

We look at their mud huts, dirt floors, and daily struggle to survive on one meager meal a day and say, “They have so little.”

Perhaps these people are in fact richer in some ways than we will ever be.  Their joy in the Lord is complete.  Their love and generosity overflows.

I came away from the service feeling lighter than when I went in.  None of the circumstances in my life changed, but instead of feeling tired and down, I had a smile on my face and joy in my heart. 

God showed up and met me when I needed Him most.  He reminded me to look for joy in the midst of life’s challenges.

I don’t want to go through life focusing on the negative and missing the joyful blessings.  What about you?  Do you need a joyful reminder today? 

“Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth!  Serve the Lord with gladness!  Come into His presence with singing!”  Psalm 100:1-2

“For the Lord is good:  His steadfast love endures forever, and His faithfulness to all generations.”  Psalm 100:5

No comments: