Sunday, May 20, 2012

Philippians 4:11-14 - Contented Living

MEMORY VERSE:
“Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.  I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything.  I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or with little.  For I can do anything through Christ, who gives me strength.”  Philippians 4:11-14

How many of us can make these same statements?  “...for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have...whether it is a full stomach or empty, with plenty or with little.”

I can live like that for a while.  It’s easy to be content when my stomach is full, I’ve got a cup of tea in my hand, the sun is shining, and all is right in my world.  Can I say the same thing when I’m working on three hours of sleep, fighting a head cold, snow is dumping down, and I’m in hour number ten of a twelve hour fast for a medical appointment?

No, probably not.  In fact I’d most likely be as grumpy as a hungry bear in January.  And these are just temporary circumstances I know will be gone soon enough!

What about the bigger things in life?  We all want a safe, warm place to life, in fact in this country we feel we’re entitled to it.  We all want three hot meals in our stomachs, and some of us want snacks in between.  We all want to own a car, and not a fifteen year old rust bucket...a shiny one that still has that new car scent.

In our attempts to fulfill these wants and desires we often end up mired in debt, adding more stress and discontent to our lives.  We give in to acquisition addiction; thinking a new shiny toy will make us happy, fill the void in our lives, and make our problems go away. 

Perhaps for a fleeting moment this works.  But once the glint is gone the void is still there.  We still battle depression, our marriage is still ending, and we still haven’t found a job.  The shiny new toy didn’t change life’s circumstances. 

How can we be content in whatever circumstances we face?  How can we fill life’s void?  How can we trust an unseen God when we’re struggling to keep it all together?

I think it helps to build a solid foundation of faith in the good times.  It’s easier to seek comfort in God’s arms in the hard times when we know Him, we know His character, we know He’s in control, and we know He’ll take whatever ugly circumstances we’re experiencing and make something good come out of them (Romans 8:28).

What if you don’t have a faith foundation?  What if you’re out there fighting your way through life wondering if this is all there is, wondering what it’s all about, why it doesn’t make sense, why you’re dealing with so much pain and sorrow?

If that’s where you are today I’m so sorry.  My heart goes out to you.  I know life just sucks sometimes!  It doesn’t seem fair and it doesn’t make sense. 

If you’re in the place where life sucks and you’re wondering what to do or where to turn I still encourage you to reach out to God.  Talk to Him the way you’d talk to any of your friends.  Tell Him your problems and tell Him what you need. 

If you’re thinking, “What’s the point?”  Let me ask you this, if you’ve already tried everything else, what have you got to lose?  Why NOT give God a try?

Building a relationship with God is like building a relationship with a potential new friend.  The more time you spend getting to know Him the closer you’ll come to Him.  How do you get to know God? 

Spend time talking to Him every day.  Pick up a Bible and read about Him.  Start in the book of John in the New Testament.  You’ll meet God in these pages and learn about His love for you.  After you’ve finished reading the book of John start reading the New Testament from the beginning just like you’d read any other book. 

If you’re still searching, dedicate some time to work through “Experiencing God”, a three month study by Henry Blackaby.  When you do the work in this course you’ll come out with a completely new awareness of who God is and how He works in your life. 

As you learn more about God you’ll find your faith and your love for Him will grow.  Your relationship with God will begin to fill the void in your life the “shiny new toy” never could.  Soon you’ll be able to speak as Paul does...

“Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.  I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything.  I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or with little.  For I can do anything through Christ, who gives me strength.”  Philippians 4:11-14

No comments: