Sunday, April 29, 2012

Matthew 25:35-36 & 40 - Practical Street Faith

MEMORY VERSE:

“I was hungry and you fed me,
I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
I was homeless and you gave me a room,
I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
I was sick and you stopped to visit,
I was in prison and you came to me.”  Matthew 25:35-36 (The Message)

“...Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me – you did it to me.”  Matthew 25:40 (The Message)

I just got back from spending a weekend with friends in Calgary.  Besides spending time with “the girls”, another highlight to a weekend in Calgary is Sunday worship at Southwood United Church.  This is the church I attended for the seven years I lived in Calgary. 

The Holy Spirit is very busy at Southwood.  The presence of God is palpable throughout the service.  The love and generosity of the congregation is overwhelming.  Certainly they have their challenges and conflicts; what church doesn’t.  But they’re lead by Pastor Ed Lewis who is strong in faith and believes deeply in the power of prayer and leading through the Spirit. 

If you’re ever in Calgary on Sunday morning, take the opportunity to check out this spirit led church.  If you’re looking for some good preaching, listen to Pastor Ed’s sermons at www.southwoodchurch.ca .

One of my friends was telling me about a project the Southwood kids did recently in Sunday School.  They collected small personal hygiene items.  Things like soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, combs, razors, lip balm, deodorant, and band aids.

They also brought non-perishable snacks like granola bars, apple sauce, trail mix, nuts, hard candy, and gift cards for coffee.  All the items were put together into zip lock bags along with a written blessing.  These are called blessing bags.

The idea is to have a supply of these bags with you in the car.  When you meet a homeless person you are now prepared.  Many times I’ve struggled with how to respond to the homeless (see Starbucks, Tea, and Alcohol – Not a Typical Sunday and The Eyes of Jesus) and the blessing bag provides a great answer.

In the book of James, Jesus’ brother, James, talks about putting your faith into action.

“Now someone may argue, ‘Some people have faith; others have good deeds.’ But I say, ‘How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds?  I will show you my faith by my good deeds.’  You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God.  Good for you!  Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror.  How foolish!  Can’t you see that faith without good deeds is useless?”  James 2:18-19 (NLT)

Shortly after the kids made the blessing bags my friend and her young daughter were out and about when they noticed a homeless couple.  They took the blessing bag they had with them, approached the couple, and gave it to the woman.  The look of joy and appreciation on the woman’s face touched my friend’s heart.  They went back to the church, retrieved a second bag, and returned to give it to the man.

Was it outside of my friend’s comfort zone?  Absolutely!  But she didn’t let fear hold her back.  She stepped out in faith to serve this couple and was blessed beyond measure; and what an incredible learning experience for her shy, young daughter.  Faith in action speaks louder than any words ever will. 

That’s what Jesus is talking about... 

“I was hungry and you fed me,
I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
I was homeless and you gave me a room,
I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
I was sick and you stopped to visit,
I was in prison and you came to me.”  Matthew 25:35-36

“...Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me – you did it to me.”  Matthew 25:40

No comments: