Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Billboards From God

Have you ever asked God for guidance in helping you make an important decision? You bring the dilemma to Him seeking a solution but instead of a definitive answer you feel like you’re twiddling the tuning button on the radio resulting in static and dead air.

Many times in my life I’ve brought important decisions to God in prayer.  I take a few minutes in the morning to say something like this,

“OK God, here’s my dilemma.  I really need to make a decision about this and it’s going to affect the next few years of my life.  I really want to do your will and make the right choice so can you tell me what you want me to do and what the right choice is?  Thank You for hearing my prayer Heavenly Father and thank You for answering it.  I know you will.  In Jesus name I pray, Amen.”  Then I rush out the door to get on with my busy life.

Isn’t that admirable?  I’m bringing my decision to God. I’m telling Him I want to choose wisely and do His will. So why don’t I get an answer. Why isn’t there a big billboard on the side of the highway that reads,

“Dear Carol…thanks for your prayer this morning. I’m really glad you took six seconds out of your busy schedule to share that with me.  Here’s a numbered, step by step list of what you should do to make that decision. And oh, by the way, here’s a link to a YouTube video of how your life will turn out if you follow my list of instructions.  Have a nice day! God"

If I saw that I’d pull over, take a picture and download it to my computer.  I’d make sure I followed it step by step so I didn’t mess up!

You know I’m being facetious.  My point is we all rush to God when we have problems or important decisions to make.  We expect a response NOW!  Then we get frustrated and disillusioned when we don’t seem to get an answer.  We think we can call on God like a Google search.  Cast up a prayer, get 10,000 hits back in the matter of a millisecond, and pick the one we like. 

God doesn’t work that way.  Max Lucado in his book, “Out Live Your Life”, says, “God has posted traffic signs everywhere we look.  In the universe, in scripture, even within our own hearts...”  Much to my chagrin Max wasn’t referring to advertising spots on billboards. 

In most cases God does answer our petitions for guidance but we’re too busy to get it.  In some cases we ignore the message because it doesn’t come like a lightning bolt out of the blue or a smack upside the head with a two by four.

Maybe God answered you through a gentle conversation with a friend or neighbor.

Maybe God’s answer is found in the persistent nudging of your conscience.

Maybe God answers in the beauty of a sunset, the majesty of a mountain top, or the gentle breeze on your face.

Maybe God answers in a quiet moment of inspiration that comes to you when you turn off the Iphone, the TV and the computer.

We tend to have a one-sided relationship with God.  How many friendships or marriages have you seen where one person does all the talking while the other person just sits and listens?  How successful are those relationships?  They’re not exactly what I’d call healthy.

Frequently we fail to be in healthy relationship with God.  We don’t read scripture every day or spend time listening.  We don’t give God a chance to speak.   We don’t hear the answer because we’re too busy doing the talking!

I still dream of my billboard by the side of the road but I know it’s not a reality.  The only way I’m going to hear God speak is by spending time with Him.  When I ask Him to tune all my senses to be ready to hear the message He has for me and when I go into the day watching for ways He might speak to me, I’ll begin to hear His answers.

How does God speak to you?  Post your thoughts by clicking on “comments” below.

No comments: