Saturday, January 28, 2012

Those No-Bake Chocolate, Oatmeal, Coconut Things

Those No-Bake Chocolate, Oatmeal Coconut Things; Quick Chocolate Drops; Chocolate Dainties; Haystacks; Fiddle Diddles; and the not so appetizing… Turd Cookies.  Are your taste buds quivering with anticipation or revulsion? 

For a lot of people these cookies are old familiar friends, but for the uninitiated, here’s what you need to know.  They don’t require any baking and use ingredients that were staples in every kitchen about 25 years ago.  (Wow I can’t believe I just typed “25 years”! Am I ever dating myself!)

These tasty, chewy treats were regular attendees at church events.  You could pretty much guarantee they’d pop up at all community events and wedding showers.

Like puffed wheat cake, the popularity of these cookies has languished.  I think it’s time our taste buds take a stroll down memory lane.

My family called them Fiddle Diddles. I don’t know where the name came from. It wasn’t the name at the top of the recipe in the cook book, but as a kid it was fun to say.

I took a big interest in baking at an early age and these were the first cookies I learned to make; probably because my mother didn’t have to worry about any potential oven mishaps.  She just had to ensure no fires started on the stove top. (I only remember starting a fire on the stove once and that was when I was an adult in my own kitchen…and it was an accident…but I digress.)

Any time I wanted to bake, Fiddle Diddles were the cookie of choice. They had everything you needed for a successful cookie. From my perspective they were sweet and chocolaty and you experienced close to instant gratification since they required zero oven time – just drop them on waxed paper, wait about ½ an hour and voila…cookies!

From my mother’s perspective they provided oat fiber, cleverly hidden in the guise of a sweet, chocolate treat. So there you have it a cookie everyone can agree on. 

Here’s the recipe, I’ll leave the name choice up to you. J

Put the following ingredients in a medium sized pot:
2 cups white sugar
3 tbsp. cocoa
½ cup milk
½ cup butter
Pinch of salt
Mix together and bring to a boil.  Boil for 1 ½ minutes.
Remove from heat.

Stir in:
3 cups oatmeal (either regular or quick cooking rolled oats will work - don't pre-cook it, just dump in the plain, raw oats)
1 cup coconut
1 tsp. vanilla
When completely mixed drop by spoonfuls on waxed paper and cool.

Do you remember these cookies? What did your family call them? Click on "comments" below to share your thoughts.

8 comments:

Sarah McKay said...

Thanks Carol for this recipe. Sounds great and I am looking forward to trying it. I really love that there is not any wheat in this. Yum!

Diane Henders said...

Yummy. Now I have to go and make some. And now you have to tell us about your kitchen conflagration, too. Inquiring minds want to know... :-)

Carol Henders said...

Hope you enjoy it, Sarah. While there's no flour in it I know some Celiacs do have tolerance problems with oatmeal. It should be fine for wheat allergies and sensitivities but if full blown Celiac disease is the issue, maybe proceed with caution on the oatmeal.

Carol Henders said...

Now that I am thinking about it, Diane, I realized I lied...there have actually been two kitchen conflagrations. One in my kitchen when some oil dropped on the element...couldn't remember if you were supposed to use baking powder, baking soda, salt or flour to put it out. Tossed some flour on it which worked, but in hindsight (and after some research) realized it could have blown up in my face...literally. Always use baking soda!

The other was in Beryl's kitchen (my step-mother). The lid fell off the popcorn pot...who knew popped corn would catch fire! Again easy to put out but had to make more popcorn.

Deborah said...

Hi, I'm 54 years old, and my mom was making Fiddle Diddles before I was born. My mom said she got the name when a neighbour called them those 'fiddly diddly' things. I've always thought my mom made up the name, but I may be wrong! I just googled Fiddle Diddles, and there they were. I'd like to think it's because I've been putting the recipe in every cookbook I've ever made a contribution to, posted about them, and made it my mission to convert the world to this title, but I'm not so sure anymore! If anyone ever finds a story of their origins, I'd sure like to hear about it!

Carol Henders said...

You're right Deborah. I just googled fiddle diddles - something I haven't done before. I'm surprised at the number of hits. Who knows, maybe your mission to convert the world to the name succeeded! 😊 Thanks for commenting.

Unknown said...

A friend just asked me if I knew what these things were called and how to make them. In my mother's old recipe book they were called Fiddle Diddles but the recipe called for lard. Tells you how old that recipe was.

Carol Henders said...

LOL, love the lard, Elaine!! I remember my mother baking bread with melted down bacon fat. It was really great bread, but amazing that I don't have a cholesterol problem today!